If you have a love for music and would like to share it with students at inner-city elementary schools, we welcome you to consider volunteering as a music teacher with the Heart of the City Piano Program.
- We are looking for volunteers to teach both piano and guitar.
- Intake: The volunteer application is open year-round, but start dates are late September for fall intake and late January for winter intake.
- Commitment: in accordance with post-secondary schedules, each volunteer term is 4 or preferably 8 months (September – April), with the option of teaching until the end of June.
- Lesson times: Lessons are usually taught after school (starting at 3-3:30 pm); a few schools also accommodate noon-hour lessons.
- Lesson duration: Volunteers generally teach 3 children for around 20 minutes each, for a total of 1 hour per week.
- Location: Lessons take place at inner-city elementary schools, all of which are accessible by public transit.